Former ANC Youth League president and political firebrand Julius Malema has joined the Democratic Alliance.
“The courts are being used to target me, destroy my business and eliminate those who would speak truth to power, to the showerhead,” Malema said.
“The ANC has become the new Nationalists, they have become the voice of the oppressor,” Malema continued, “and a united opposition is needed to stop them.”
Asked if he still held to his views on nationalising the mines, Malema responded, “When I was in the ANC I was a soldier for ANC policy, for the Freedom Charter, now I fight for the DA.”
The DA has cited Malema’s experience and impact on the South African political landscape as potential positives, but has said that he would have to prove himself before granting him a position of political leadership.
“While we welcome his change of heart with regards to our party, we are still wary of the racialised and sexist language he has employed in the past,” the DA said in a press statement.
Originally published at Times LIVE
- Beware the Ides of March: Axe falls on Limpopo ANC & Youth League NEC (dailymaverick.co.za)
- Zuma’s brittle grip tightens (nicborain.wordpress.com)
- “Malema: How African youths are exploited by opportunists” by Nkwazi Mhango (afrospear.com)
- Julius Malema’s centre fails to hold again (studentlyf.wordpress.com)
- Malema Farm To Be Auctioned (ezasemzansi.wordpress.com)
- Ex-ANC member’s home sold to pay tax (oddonion.com)
- South Africa in Crisis: Universal Calls for Resignation of Black Supremacist Julius Malema of ANC (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)